…to make your head spin.
Just about every time I turn on the news or read the paper, people – especially individuals who aspire to be President and their minions! – are saying such batshit insane things that I wonder if I have inadvertantly stepped into an Alice-In-Wonderland universe.
Every so often, I will post a few WTF gems here for head scratching, shits-and-giggles, and a little enlightenment.
“We’re gonna get the wall built…and Mexico’s gonna pay for the wall. And they’re gonna be happy about it…because the cost of the wall is peanuts compared to the kind of money they’re making. Mexico is becoming the new China.” Donald Trump
- Is it just me, or has DT been reading a little too much Mario Puzo lately? Aside from the utter ignorance this displays about the global economy, making our neighbors an offer they can’t refuse is neither presidential or neighborly. (I promise to limit DT references in the future.)
“It’s really questionable whether they [Supreme Court] have the constitutional authority to do that [rule on marriage equality].” Mat Staver – attorney for Kim Davis.
- Yes, actually that is exactly what SCOTUS’s authority is, as any 4th grader (and even Fox News) knows. Fox doesn’t often contradict its extreme guests, but this statement from a member of the bar actually gave them pause. Is there hope for Fox? Probably not, but they at least called this one right.
“…no one is buying the ‘Denali is what the Alaskans have called it for years’ line. I’ve never called the mountain Denali and neither does anyone I know.” Bristol Palin
- Obviously she knows the wrong people. Denali is the original Athabaskan name of the mountain and the Alaskan Legislature requested the Federal Government change the name from McKinley to Denali way back in 1975. Not a vast left-wing, Obama conspiracy despite what the Palins might think.
“The [Supreme] Court has many opinions, but they are not law.” Michael Peroutka (R), Anne Arundel Country, MD councilman.
- Umm, yes, they are. Perhaps we need civics tests for those who run for office – weed out some of the ignorance.
“We were fully transparent and deceived no one.” George Tenet on the CIA’s torture program.
- Yeah, right. And Donald Trump can make you a great deal on some swampland in Georgia.
“Kim Davis in federal custody removed all doubts about the criminalization of Christianity in this country.” Mike Huckabee, contender for GOP presidential nomination.
- It simply means that she was held in contempt of court from refusing to follow a judge’s order, the law of the land, and the legal obligations of her office. This has nothing to do with religion. Nothing at all.
“As we stand here today, you can end this nuclear program today. All you do is deliver bombs on the nuclear hardware. We’re not talking about bombing shopping centers and killing innocent kids in Iran. We’re talking about taking out weapons of death. That’s the nuclear hardware….We know where it is. Go take it out, and it’s end of story, move onto something else. That’ll get the attention of these thugs in the Middle East.” Michele Bachmann, former GOP Congresswoman from Minnesota.
- Serious ‘End of Days’ delusional thinking. Another reason separation of church and state is imperative. This woman makes me embarrassed to be from Stillwater. A lovely town, btw.